THE PARABLE OF THE SOWER
There are many lessons for us in this parable. First we will learn
of the seed, the soil, and finally the planting of the seed. The
seed is the Gospel, the soil is the heart of man, and the planting is the
preaching. We will also have a lesson of why he spoke in parables
is between the parable and the explanation of the parable.
THE PARABLE OF THE SOWER (LUKE 8:4-15 AND MARK 4:1-20)
1. The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea
2. And great multitudes were gathered together unto him,
so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on
3. And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying,
Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
4. And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side,
and the fowls came and devoured them up:
5. Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much
earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
6. And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because
they had no root, they withered away.
7. And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up,
and choked them:
8. But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit,
some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
9. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
WHY SPEAK IN A PARABLE?
10. And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest
thou unto them in parables?
11. He answered and said unto them, Because it is given
unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it
is not given.
12. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall
have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away
even that he hath.
13. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they
seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
14. And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which
saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye
shall see, and shall not perceive:
15. For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears
are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time
they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand
with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
16. But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears,
for they hear.
17. For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men
have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them;
and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.
EXPLANATION OF THE PARABLE
18. Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.
19.When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth
it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown
in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
(LUKEíS ACCOUNT GIVES THE NAME OF SATAN LUKE 8:12)
20. But he that received the seed into stony places, the
same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
21. Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while:
for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and
by he is offended.
22. He also that received seed among the thorns is he that
heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of
riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
23. But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth
the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth
forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
I. SOIL PREPARATION (THE HEART)
A READY SOIL
KJV Acts 17:11
These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they
received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures
daily, whether those things were so.
NOT A HARDENED HEART
KJV Hebrews 4:7
7. Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day,
after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice,
harden not your hearts.
THE BAD PLANTS NEED TO BE CUT DOWN BEFORE THE DAY THAT GOD WILL DO IT,
AND NEW PLANTS PLANTED
KJV Matthew 15:13
13. But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly
Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up.
THE HEART MUST HAVE ALL WORLDLINESS REMOVED (CAST DOWN)
KJV 2 Corinthians 10:4-5
4. (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty
through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
5. Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that
exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity
every thought to the obedience of Christ;
A PURE HEART
KJV Matthew 5:8
8. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
THE HEART MUST BE READY TO SEEK THE THINGS ABOVE
KJV Colossians 3:1-3
1. If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which
are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
2. Set your affection on things above, not on things on
3. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in
THE HEART MUST BE PURPOSED AND HAVE AN ATTITUDE TO DO RIGHT
KJV Daniel 1:8
8. But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself
with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank:
therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile
II. SELECTION OF THE SEED
THE SEED IS THE WORD
KJV Luke 8:11
11. Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
THE WORD IS LIFE
KJV John 6:63
63. It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing:
the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
THE WORD LIGHTS THE WAY
KJV Psalms 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light
unto my path.
III. SOWING THE SEED (PREACHING THE WORD)
WE PLANT AND GOD GIVES THE INCREASE
KJV 1 Corinthians 3:6
6. I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.
THE WORD CANNOT BE HEARD IF IT IS NOT PREACHED
KJV Romans 10:14
14. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?
and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how
shall they hear without a preacher?
WE NEED TO DO EARLY AND THE EVENING SOWING
KJV Ecclesiastes 11:6
6. In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold
not thine hand: for thou knowest not whether shall prosper, either this
or that, or whether they both shall be alike good.
THE 1ST CENTURY CHURCH PREACHED EVERYWHERE
KJV Acts 8:4 Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every
where preaching the word.
WE MUST TEACH WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED AND MAKE OTHERS ABLE TO DO THE SAME
KJV 2 Timothy 2:2
2. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses,
the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others
The seed must be preached to honest and ready hearts. Those that
hear of the death of the Lord and are pricked in the hearts the same as
those in (Acts 2:37-38), that question what they must do. Those that
recognize that the blood of Christ will remit their sins (Matthew 26:28).
That they will meet that blood and have the washing away (Acts 22:16) in
baptism that they will raise to walk in a new life (Romans 6:3-5), having
been a person that has repented (Luke 13:3), and confessed (Romans 10:10).
This person will want to be a member of the Church the Lordís blood purchased
(Acts 20:28). The ONE Church (Ephesians 4:4, 1:22-23). The
Church of which he is head (Colossians 1:18). The Church that worships
in spirit and in truth (John 4:23). The worship you have seen this
day and occurred in the Church you read about in the Bible (Acts 20:7,
I Corinthians 16:1-2, and Ephesians 5:19).
Copyright 2001 by Brian
Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.