WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN LIFE?
INTRODUCTION: THE BIBLE TALKS ABOUT THE CHRISTIAN LIFE BEING A "NEW
(2 CORINTHIANS 5:17) WHAT IS THE CHRISTIAN LIFE?
I. THE CHRISTIAN LIFE IS A LIFE OF FAITH.
A. Faith- What we live by.
II. THE CHRISTIAN LIFE IS A LIFE OF REPENTANCE.
1. Hebrews 11:1
2. Romans 1:17 - For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from
faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith."
3. 2 Corinthians 5:7 - "(For we walk by faith, not by sight:)"
B. Faith comes from the study of God's word.
1. Romans 10:17
C. It is that which enables us to win over the world.
1. 1 John 5:4-5 "For whatever is born of God overcomes the
world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world; our faith.
5- Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is
the Son of God?"
2. It is this faith in the risen Christ that gives us great spiritual
a. Luke 17:6 - "So the Lord said, "If you have faith as a mustard
seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be pulled up by the roots and
be planted in the sea,' and it would obey you."
A. A requirement to become a Christian.
III. IT IS A LIFE OF GOOD WORKS.
1. Acts 2:38
B. A continuing way of life.
2. Acts 17:30 - ""Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but
now commands all men everywhere to repent,"
1. Acts 8:13-24
2. Revelation 2:5 - ""Remember therefore from where you have fallen;
repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove
your lampstand from its place; unless you repent."
3. Revelation 3:19- "As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous
therefore, and repent."
A. We must abound in good works.
1. 1 Corinthians 15:58
B. We need to be on the lookout for good works.
1. Titus 3:1 - "Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities,
to obey, to be ready for every good work,"
2. Galatians 6:10 - "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good
to all, especially to those who are of the
household of faith."
3. Ephesians 2:10 - "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus
for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them."
IV. IT IS A LIFE FREE FROM FEAR AND DREAD.
A. We must learn to lean on the Lord.
CONCLUSION: Someone has said, "God gives the ingredients for our daily
bread, but He expects us to do the baking." Let us live the Christian life,
as well as realize what it is all about.
1. Proverbs 3:25, 26 - "Do not be afraid of sudden terror,
Nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes; 26 - For the LORD will be
your confidence, And will keep your foot from being caught."
B. God commands "Fear not"
1. Matthew 10:28-31
C. Christians can have confidence in their relationship with the Heavenly
2. Hebrews 13:5, 6 - "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content
with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave
you nor forsake you." 6- So we may boldly say: "The LORD is my helper;
I will not fear. What can man do to me?""
1. Ephesians 3:12 - "in whom we have boldness and access with
confidence through faith in Him."
2. Hebrews 4:16 - "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace,
that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."
3. 1 John 4:17 - "Love has been perfected among us in this: that we
may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in
Copyright 2000 by Grady
Scott may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.