Sermon: The book of Micah
I. God's hatred of injustice and rituals is seen in every book of the Bible.
II. Micah, the ONLY prophet to prophesy about the Northern
I. Micah's plea for repentance. [2: 12-13; 5: 6-10]
A. In justice/ethics,
spirituality/soul, and education/intellect
D. Repent from evil
ways; transgressions of Judah/Northern kingdom
E. Evil people who
desire to oppress people.
F. God's warning
to both nations was severe:
God never rebukes without allowing man time to decide to change;
II. Micah's plea for patience.
A. Blessings for Israel will come, if they are long-suffering. [7: 11-20]
B. But you must
offer what God wants, not what you want!
C. God wants us
to be faithful/loyal.
D. If patient, we will receive the everlasting glories of the kingdom of God. [4: 1-8]
E. It will be a glorious kingdom with a "perfect" head/leader. [Col 1: 18]
F. Immediate desolation,
but future glory!
Trans: God always gives us a means to escape; here is a hope for future happiness!
III. Micah's plea for hope.
[4: 1-2; Isa 2: 2-3]
B. This is a universal
appeal for all men to understand and appreciate the nature
C. The admonition
D. Jesus Christ
is to come.
Transition: If we do allow Jesus
Christ to guide our lives,
[7: 7; Isa 25: 9
I. Let us make God both our only justice and idol!
II. God will only hear the sincere voice of true seeker of His will.
III. We must repent, be patient, and have faith that the Light, Jesus Christ, is Lord of all.
IV. This hope or light is available ONLY through the plan of salvation.
A. A faithful servant unto death. [Rev 2: 10]
1. Just as Jesus Christ is faithful,
2. but not before I have proven my obedience thru baptism.
B. Baptized for my sins. [Mk 16: 15-16, Acts 10: 47-48
1. Just as Jesus Christ was baptized as an example to me,
2. but not before I have confessed who my Lord is.
C. Confessing Jesus Christ as Lord. [Mt 10: 32, Rom 10: 8-13]
1. Just as Jesus Christ confessed His Father as perfect,
2. but not before I have repented of past sins.
D. Repenting of past sins. [Acts 17: 30]
1. Just as Jesus Christ taught the woman at the well to sin no more,
2. but not before I have believed in God and His Word.
E Believing in God and His Word. [Jn 8: 24, Acts 16: 31]
1. Jesus Christ said that if we had the faith of a mustard seed [Lk 17: 6]
2. but not before I have become a student of God's Word.
F. Hearing/studying His Word [Jn 6: 44-5; 8: 32
1. We need to study to be approved, [2 Tim 3: 15-7]
2. because nothing else matter!
II. A message of destruction for Samaria & Judah
III. A message of doom & deliverance
[3: 1-5: 15]
IV. A message of denunciation
[6: 1-7: 10]
Copyright 1999 by Neil
C. Prokop may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to